|My Spicy Rosemary Chicken Roast|
The Wan Lijah's grandkids residing in Klang Valey decided to held a bitrhday luch for May's birthday guys and ladies! Pot luck gathering. So, thinking that I still had the Mc Cormick - Rosemary Chicken marinate I volunteered to make Rosemary chicken roast.
Back at home, I discovered that I actually did not have the marinate!! Alhamdulillah however I did have the fresh herbs; rosemary, dill, thyme, oregano and lemon! (bought these herbs for potato salad actually!!) So as always Cik Ngah googled recipe for rosemary chicken roast. Mix and match the recipe and My Spicy Rosemary Chicken Roast was born!!! he he he...
1 whole chicken, cut into 2
2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1 small yellow onion, cut into 4
1/2 tsp black pepper, fresh cracke
1 tsp hot cayene powder
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey
12 cups water, cold
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup salt
Roast chicken residue and onions
1 cup chicken broth (1 cup water plus 1 cube non-msg chicken stock)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp corn starch
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large non-reactive, nonporous container with lid, like a glass jar, mix salt into cold water and dissolve completely to make brine. Submerge chicken into brine. Cover with lid. Refrigerate and brine for 2 hours.
2. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and preheat oven to 375° F. Remove chicken from brine. Rinse in cold water. Pat dry with paper towels so the skin can get golden brown and crispy.
3. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Rub mixture all over outside and under the skins of the chicken. Marinate in a close container or zipped plastic bag for at least 1 hour.
4. Spray non-stick cooking oil onto wire rack and place wire rack in a large baking pan. Arrange the chicken onto the wire rack. Stuff the onions cut into the chicken halves. Tuck in all wing tips so they don't burn.
5. Bake at 375° F for 1 hour. Then broil for 3 minutes to get skin crispy.
6. Remove roasting pan from oven and let rosemary chickens rest for 5 minutes.
7. Pureed the roast onion and chicken residue (from the baking pan) with chicken broth and mayonnaise.
8. Heat the gravy in sauce pan and bring to boil.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste and lastly combine the corn starch to thicken the gravy.
10. Serve roast chicken with gravy.