|My Ayam Goreng Sambal Chili Merah|
This dish Cik Ngah tried yesterday, inspired by Sambal Hijau's recipe. Good to eat with hot rice and also a simple but delicious dish for picnic or home away food. Also it is suitable for all ages as it is not to hot for the children to handle!!
Reason being, you can prepare the red chilies sauce ahead before your travelling day. Just bring the prepared sauce along and you can add fried fish, chicken or beef when preparing your home away meals for your family...
Okay, enough said, here is how you can prepare the dish. Give it a try will you?
1/2 bird of chicken, clean and chopped as desired.
10 fresh red chilies, halved and seeded
(Add bird-eyed chili padi if you want the dish to be extra hot...)
1 medium size red onion, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlics, peeled
1 cube non-msg chicken stock (Cik Ngah used Maggi)
1 teaspoon Belacan powder
1/2 piece of asam keping
2 teaspoon Perapan Garam Kunyit to marinate the chicken
(or make your own by combining tumeric powder, salt, lime juice, garlic and ginger into a paste, the easiest one is just by using tumeric powder and salt)
Vegetable oil for frying and sauteing.
- Rub the chicken with Perapan Garam Kunyit and set aside to marinate.
- In a wok, heat about 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, stir-fry chilies, onion and garlic until fragrant,.
- Remove from heat, sieved the fried ingredients and set aside to cool. Save the oil for later use in the wok.
- Deep fry the chicken pieces until cooked or until golden colour. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Put all fried ingredients into a chopper or dry blender, blend until all ingredients form a chili paste.
- Heat the left over oil from step 2, saute the chili paste for about 3-5 minutes. You can add more oil if needed.
- Add chicken stock, belacan and asam keping, stir until well combined. Add salt and sugar to taste if needed. (Cik ngah did not add any...)
- Add the fried chicken pieces, stir to coat the chicken with the sauce. Done!
- Or, prepare the chicken in your desired dish plate, pour the sauce onto the chicken pieces. Done!